Tuesday, June 3, 2008

May 18th to 30th, 2008- West Dean Estate

On these days, I was at the West Dean Estate doing my archaeological field course... (see green book for arch stuff). Some highlights include going in the archaeological van to the Indiana Jones movie (not worth it but going in the van was cool and with other archaeologists). Our site was a late bronze age field system... not very exciting. and it was on this gigantic hill we had to climb everymorning. just like when i went to belize. whats with the high up sites? I also went in to Chichester on our saturday off, which was interesting... got good food and a chance to be in civilization. The food was terrible, but since I am lactose intolerant... and was being really strict since i was in the woods and not wanting to deal with that, I got special meals made... which were way better then the other food. thank god for that. A couple of the nights we walked down to the thai pub... that was fun. Other nights we hung out by the camp fire and chilled. There were so many slugs... I have never woken up and had my tent covered by 10 huge slugs before... it was gross. Also i got two ticks.... which sucked. I met some cool people and some not so cool people. It was ok, besides the slugs and the fact that there was a gale (basically an intense rain and wind storm) that blew my tent over, thankfully when i was not in it. But all of my stuff got soaked. And not many people were sympathetic, which would be understandable if it was my tent and it sucked, but it wasnt my tent, i borrowed it from another girl who only after the gale, mentioned that it tended to flip because i was too tall. Thankfully a couple of guys helped me fix the tent to the fence near my tent and it was pretty stable. and i didnt have to take it down because another girl needed it. that was awesome. I met this israeli guy who i became friends with (ADD). On the last day, they took us to this great museum that was built like all arch museums should be built, with walkways above the actual site and enclosed. so that you dont walk on the site... kind of like a board walk. It was a great roman palace. and then we got to see the archive for that part of the uk. which was boring but fine.

No comments: